February 6, 2008

Robyn blog attack

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
The best of the horrible pictures I took (during "Show Me Love").

Everyone in the music blogosphere is posting about the Robyn show last night. I was also there. My thoughts:
  • I've never seen an audience so totally devoted to the performer. I think part of this has to do with the fact that she didn't attract a traditional indie-rock/blog band crowd, but it was still pretty remarkable.
  • Accounts differ, but this was either the first time she's ever performed live in the U.S., or the first time she's ever performed here with a live band. Either way, it was at least the first time she's performed here in 10 years.
  • Outside of the jam band circuit, having two drum kits & two drummers on stage is just about the awesomest thing anyone can do.
  • For the first 2-3 songs, she sang with a backing track of her own voice, and I was worried it was going to be Blonde Redhead redux, but after those it was all live, with occasional backing vocals from the keyboard player.
  • Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    For me, one of the highlights was when she played the sweet Knife-style electro-drum fills in "Who's that Girl" (the album version of which is in fact produced by The Knife).
  • Setlist:

    Cobrastyle
    Crash and Burn Girl
    Who's That Girl
    Bum Like You
    Handle Me
    Keep This Fire Burning (from Don't Stop the Music [2002])
    Konichiwa Bitches
    Be Mine!
    With Every Heartbeat

    --Encore--

    Show Me Love (from Robyn is Here [1998])
    Jack U Off (Prince cover)
    Be Mine! (ballad version)

  • The venue was ridiculous. There were restroom attendants. I peed, he turned on the water so I could wash my hands, and handed me a paper towel. I DID NOT TIP. It generally seemed to have the atmosphere of a dance club rather than a live music venue.
  • The opener, Drop the Lime (terrible name), was also ridiculous. I don't see how his "singing along to bass music" shtick could really fly outside of the Manhattan trust fund/prep school circuit, and he certainly appeared out of his element in front of the Robyn crowd. I saw people laughing at him, and not in a good way.
  • Out of all the tracks the house DJ played before and in between acts, the only one that got any kind of response from the audience was The Outfield's 1986 hit "Your Love". It reminded me of Slate critic Jody Rosen joking that Journey was the #1 band of 2007. I mentioned it in an Idolator comment, hoping that a real music writer/someone smarter than me might have something to say about it, but apparently no one was interested.

With Every Heartbeat:


Cobrastyle (not from last night, but too sweet to not post):



More recaps:
Fluxblog
her jazz

2 comments:

colleen said...

why hasn't anyone commented yet on how sweet you are?
al: you're really sweet bc you went to the robyn concert.

parallelliott said...

did you dance?

caribou has two drummers, and they're coming to noho again, and they crush live.