April 15, 2008

Power Douglas - "Oblideration of King Alfred"

Power Douglas

As I mentioned yesterday, today is the release date for Power Douglas' debut full-length Pentecostal Fangbread. It looks like the only place you can get it so far is Amazon's download store (Amazon isn't listing a physical copy); click the album art to go there, where you can check out clips of the 9 songs on the record. Closing track "Pangea", which features Tunde Adebimpe from TV on the Radio and Aku Orraca-Tetteh from Dragons of Zynth, was featured on Pitchfork yesterday, and is reviewed on Paper Thin Walls today.

I downloaded the record this morning, and I like what I've heard in the two listens I've given it so far. After hearing the TVotR-esque sound of "Pangea", I was surprised that a good portion of the album is made up of rap tracks. Check out "Oblideration of King Alfred" [sic], in which vocalist Furor Thin rhymes on top of fuzzed-over layers of Latin percussion, and a simple bassline undergirds the whole affair.

MP3 - "Oblideration of King Alfred"

No comments: