March 29, 2008

Muxtaped

Hey! I made a Muxtape for nobody to look at, just like I haven't looked at anyone else's, much less listened to them.

Muxtape

This is a themed mux, with most of the tracks relating to recent happenings. Here's the track list, with explanations:

Max Roach - "Driva' Man", from We Insist! (Freedom Now Suite)
Last Tuesday night, UMass hosted a tribute concert for Roach, who was a member of the music faculty during the 70s through 90s. Many university jazz ensembles participated, and there were some special guests, including:

Yusef Lateef - "First Gymnopedie", from Psychiemotus
Lateef is 88 years old; he was a little slow moving around on stage, but once he started playing he may as well have been 30 again. Lateef completed a PhD in education at UMass in 1975. Also present was Reggie Workman, who played bass on this album.

Nat Baldwin - "De-attached", from Most Valuable Player
Thursday night, Nat Baldwin performed at Hampshire College's Red Barn. It was the 3rd time I've seen Nat and his band live in the past 4 months, and it was by far the best. Previously, they always just stuck to album tracks, but this time they opened up the set to allow plenty of free playing. Baldwin's free-jazz inclinations should come as no surprise, as he spurned basketball scholarships to study at Wesleyan under:

Anthony Braxton - "Comp. 6 K", from The Complete Braxton
In May, Wesleyan will be featuring two nights of Braxton performances on the 7th and 8th. The 7th will feature Braxton playing with a small ensemble, while the concert on the 8th will largely consist of student ensembles playing Braxton compositions. Both concerts are free. (PUN?)

Dave Longstreth - "She Turns to Ash", from The Graceful-Fallen Mango
Tomorrow, Dirty Projectors will be playing at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, with openers No Kids. This is my favorite track from Longstreth's pre-Projectors album. Dig the repetition.

Triangle Forest - "Rockagon", from Hostile Takeover
Wednesday brings yet another AS220 appearance from Providence's favorite syhthy faux-Brit cheeze-poppers, who will be opening for:

HEALTH - "Crimewave", from HEALTH
I'm not sure if I like HEALTH, but I know I like quesadillas, so I will be there.

The Notwist - "On Planet Off", from The Devil, You + Me
This album just leaked last week. I don't want to promote leak culture but this is one of the only albums being released in the coming months that I have any interest at all in hearing (2 others I can think of: Scarlett Johansson, BSS presents Brendan Canning). I've only listened to it 2 times so far, but I like what I hear. Despite this being the band's first album in 6 years, the sound hasn't changed much at all. It's like I'm still sitting in my freshman dorm room, listening to Neon Golden on Winamp. I really like the kling-klangy beat on this track.

Odd Nosdam - "Forever Heavy (Remix)", from P S E
and
Rick Ross vs. Hercules and Love Affair - "Blind Speed (ABX Remix)", from The Hood Internet
This is a blog, after all.

J.C. Chasez - "Blowin' Me Up With Her Love", from Drumline Soundtrack
The Best Song.

WERE, Cleveland - "Indians Are on the Air", '60s era radio promo
Monday is Opening Day!

(Link)

1 comment:

Kurt Bernardo said...

Your Old Man gave it a listen....