March 13, 2008

2 things that I like about No Age.

No Age

I've been burnt out on new music/indie music/blog music lately, but No Age is one of the handful of that type of bands I've still been listening to. Here are two things that I like about No Age:

1) Drummer/vocalist Dean Sprunt's voice -- With No Age, Times New Viking, and probably some other bands I can't think of, the drummer/vocalist is coming back! Sprunt's vocals are especially notable for their nasal, bratty, Tom DeLonge-esque quality. On their last record, this tone was usually at least somewhat buried beneath the noise in the mix, just enough to cover up the obnoxiousness that would make them sound a little too mall-punk. But if you listen closely, it's there, and it screams SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA (in a good way).

2) Guitarist Randy Randall's name -- In a lot of other bands, Randy Randall would seem like a jokey stage name, but in this case I'm assuming it's just what people have always called him. Each part of his name also carries a special association in my brain: Randy. Randall.

BONUS 3) Interview and concert footage from XLR8R

1 comment:

parallelliott said...

don henley will always be the king of the drummer/vocalists.