February 18, 2008

Black Fire Percussion

I'm a sucker for drumline videos, so when I saw this clip of Brooklyn's Black Fire Percussion featured on the front page of YouTube, I had to watch. The sling harnesses had me expecting something along the lines of the show band style of traditionally black colleges (usually seen on TV once a year, during the Grambling vs Southern game), but Black Fire's style is actually a great synthesis of that and corps style, with the showmanship of the former meeting the precision and challenging charts of the latter. I think these kids are only in high school; considering that, it's pretty impressive stuff.

7 comments:

parallelliott said...

rad

Anonymous said...

Your blog has been kicking Elliotts blog's ass lately.

colleen said...

BLOG FIGHT

Al said...

IT'S NOT A COMPETITION.

parallelliott said...

i think my lawyer is trying to cook up some beef

Anonymous said...

Oh its not?

"esharp3 @ 10:30
any blog with a dirty proj song, acid mothers, klimt, gondry, religious knives, socrates, sushi, zombies, and beer wins

10:31
i'll take on his multiple reich posts anyday"

Anonymous said...

around 3 minutes it sounds like the A&T Cadence which kind of bothers me. and i don't hear and 16th note pea soups to rival what Chris Shirring called the best cymbal line he's ever seen (Brian Burkholder and myself. and someone better be crashing cymbals under their legs.