January 24, 2008

Scary Kids Scaring Me

dag yo

I don't understand this at all. The look, mostly. Something about these dudes really grates on me, but I'm not sure what/why. Their music isn't anything special or particularly deserving of scorn -- the song on their Myspace, "Lost in New York", sort of reminds me of Get Up Kids' "Ten Minutes" for the Mountain Dew Game Fuel generation, with some chugging metal chords thrown in at the beginning for the post-hardcore kids. Look at them though. Could they be more over the top or one-year-too-late-trendy? They're from Florida, which I guess explains something. So why can't I stand to look at them? Is it the irony? I'm not even sure that's the right word, but these guys look way too serious about their goofiness, exceedingly self-conscious about it, to the point that it seems contrived in a way that is completely indefensible. But I wondered -- Is their earnest goofiness really so different from the earnest earnestness whatever seen below?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything about Florida is repulsive.

colleen said...

that guy in the back is wearing a hoodie you own. is that actually why you don't like them?

parallelliott said...

if they were eddie vedder would you like them any better?

Al said...

@ Colleen: Actually, I think that guy is the most tolerable looking one.

@ Pair LL: Of course. BUT IS THAT JUSTIFIED??